Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 00:22:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Felipe Rivera Marquez <felipe@informador.com.mx>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Redirect from questions:Specified device does not match mounted device

	Hi there

	I asked this in freebsd-questions and somebody answered me a
little upset saying that the issue i discusse bellow is old subject
here... but i searched stable, bugs and questions mailing lists through
www.freebsd.org before i sent my question to questions and didn't
find any references.. even the GNATS.. so here it is:

	I'm using 2.2.5-STABLE with a kernel recompiled until the F00F
bug from the stable source tree. I received days ago the report about the
VM bug in the kernel, so i pulled the latest src/sys tree with cvsup and
then made the steps for kernel recompiling with the same configuration
file than before.
	I installed it and rebooted but when the server tried to mount the
root device, mount complained:

	/dev/sd0d on /:Specified device does not match mounted device.
			Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted

Then it asked for the path shell or RETURN for sh.... well you notice some
weirdeness about my root device :) well...  i made a mistake defining the
partition for the root device and i notice that late, while
changing the system to a SCSI disk from an IDE. What i did to boot without
typing (sd0,d)kernel everytime from the boot: prompt was to
change src/sys/boot/biosboot/boot.c and made 'd' the default bootable
partition... i don't think this has something to do with my problem since
it boots fine (kernel.old still works) and the new kernel boots all the
way until it tries to mount /

	Now.. when I enter the shell and type mount it shows me this:

	root_device on / (local,read-only)

Well.. then i recompiled src/sbin/mount and installed it.. but the problem
didn't fixed

	Any ideas????

	Mmmm. maybe i have to rewrite the boot code on the disk?????

	Thanx :)

	Felipe Rivera M.
	felipe@informador.com.mx