Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 14:59:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Tim Borgeaud <Tim.Borgeaud@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: large drives, old BIOS, IDE Controllers

I don't know too much about actual hardware details but I have tried to
fit a large drive to a non-translating bios. You may have some major
problems with the bios.

You can get hold of a variety of controller cards that take the place of the
second IDE controller (IRQ 15). Some will become the primary controller if you
disable the on-board controller. It may be possible to use two IO/controller
cards if you cannot find a card with two connectors. Otherwise you may have to
do without the smaller disk drive.

There may some ISA sound cards that have ATAPI connectors for cdroms (although
these connectors may not work with all cdroms), some of these will work with
FreeBSD. You may be able to run your cdrom from a sound card, but you won't be
able to boot from it.

However for a large hard drive >500MB you will need either a bios on the
controller card or a hard disk that can pretend to be smaller. Both the
Fujitsu disks that I own have jumpers on them to perform this function.
FreeBSD can be told the correct parameters so that it uses the whole of the
disk. I have tried using a planet EIDEMAX controller which claims to have
a bios that runs code that precedes the normal bios code and allows
large drives to work. But I found this not to be the case. The mother board
bios completely refused to allow the on board IDE controller to work at all
unless it could recognise the disks correctly.

The bios on my pentium board can be told that there are no other devices
apart from one disk on the primary controller. When FreeBSD boots it can
find the other controller and devices (ATAPI STATIC in the kernel seems to
allow this. I use these settings with a removable hard drive bay so that
I can add and remove a hard drive with no complaints from the bios).

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but PC hardware is just like that.
Best of luck

Tim.