Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 13:20:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        saeki@ba2.so-net.ne.jp (Saeki Takashi)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: initio scsi controller

Saeki Takashi wrote...
> Hi Thomas, Are you writing the driver for the initio SCSI controller?
> But Initio already provides FreeBSD CAM SCSI drivers for the controller
> on their WebPage.
>
> see http://www.initio.com/download.htm#misc
>
> >>  BSD Kernel (9XXX/A100 for BSD)
> >>  1.9M (8/1/99)
> >>                               v3.0
>

> This drivers seems to be developed for FreeBSD 3.0, but I can compile it
> into FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE, without hitch.
> Now I am using I/O EXPRESSWAY INI-9200U Dual Channel PCI-Ultra SCSI I/F,
> flawlessly.

I'm glad to know it works.  You're the first person (at least that I can
remember) who I've heard from that has one of these cards.

> I do not know why the drivers are not commited into FreeBSD.
> Commiters, would you please tell me why?
> I would like to see the drivers merged into FreeBSD.

There are a couple of reasons:

 - lack of hardware
 - time
 - copyright on one of the drivers

The driver for their Ultra-Wide SCSI cards consists of three files.  One
has a standard BSD-style copyright on it.  One has a proprietary copyright
on it.  The last one has no copyright.  We cannot integrate that driver into
the tree without getting those two files fixed.

Their Ultra 2 driver, on the other hand, has a BSD-style copyright on both
files.

The first two problems will hopefully be solved by Thomas.  As for the last
one, I think he is going to try to contact Initio about it.

> From: Thomas Graichen <graichen@innominate.de>
> Subject: initio scsi controller
> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:59:55 +0200 (CEST)
>
> > just to let you know (and to avoid any double efforts) - i am currently
> > trying to integrate the initio scsi driver from initio into FreeBSD in
> > a way that it can be committed - so if anybody else is doing the same
> > please contact me - i will post the status here

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org