Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 18:05:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Uncle Flatline <flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 7 questions/problems from a former Linux, new FreeBSD user

P.S.

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Doug White wrote:
> > 4) When telnetting to my Linux host, the system correctly translates
> >    IP name to IP numeric address, tells me it's connected, and then
> >    immediately says "Connection closed by foreign host".  Telnetting
> >    from FreeBSD to other machines is fine, as is telnetting to the Linux
> >    machine from anything other than the FreeBSD machine.  (Is this some
> >    authentication thing that I turned on during the install?  Can I correct
> >    things without reinstalling?)
>
> Sounds like tcp wrappers are on on the Linux box and your FreeBSD machine
> is blocked out.  Also try disabling tcp_extensions in /etc/rc.conf.

"rlogin" works, as does "ncftp".  And the connection was fine when both
machines were Linux.  The IP names and addresses have remained the same, as
has my /etc/hosts.  However, I have not restored most of my other /etc
files...

Does the tcp wrappers theory still hold up with that evidence?  (As I
mentioned, I dunno anything about tcp wrappers.)

--
 Kevin Cole      <Flatline>    |  E-mail:  flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu
 Gallaudet Research Institute  |  WWW:     http://pchb1f.gallaudet.edu/