Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:36:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason P Holland <jholland@cs.selu.edu>
To:        "Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: root partition

yes, absolutely, that is a best practice.  if /var fills up, you don't
want that to affect /.  also, /tmp should be seperate, because its a DoS
since /tmp can be written by any user, they could conceivably fill up /.
the only case this would be ok, would be if you were installing on a
smaller hard drive, which gives you less room to juggle around.

jason