Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 23:03:39 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/27563: postfix-current is broken

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 12:20:03PM -0700, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR ports/27563; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
> To: "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>,
> 	<FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: ports/27563: postfix-current is broken
> Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:13:38 -0500
>
>  From: "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
>  > The following reply was made to PR ports/27563; it has been noted by
>  GNATS.
>  >
>  > From: "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
>  > To: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>, <scorpio@drkshdw.org>,
>  > <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
>  > Cc:
>  > Subject: Re: ports/27563: postfix-current is broken
>  > Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 13:04:19 -0500
>  >
>  >  Yes we do, I had the same problem with lib_krb, but there isn't a good
>  way
>  >  to tell how sasl is compiled yet is there?
>  >
>  I just did a grep thru the strings returned from the libsasl.a library and
>  it returned the MySQL & LDAP functions that it is using.  Theses functions
>  will not occur in a SASL library that hasn't been compiled with support for
>  MySQL and/or LDAP. So a check for MySQL and/or LDAP would need:
>
>      strings PREFIX/lib/libsasl.a | grep mysql_verify_password
>      strings PREFIX/lib/libsasl.a | grep ldap_verify_password

Just a minor comment: this would be better done with nm(1) or objdump(1),
not strings(1).  nm(1)'s -u option seems especially relevant.

Still, I think it would be better to leave this to the user - let them
define WITH_MYSQL or WITH_LDAP or whatever is appropriate.  If those
defines are the same that are used in the dependent ports (in this case,
SASL), you get the added benefit that a build on a clean machine would
keep those in the environment when building the dependent ports, and
provide a one-step full build.

I hope this last sentence did not come out too unclear - all I meant was,
if SASL is not installed, and you do a make -DWITH_MYSQL in the Postfix
port directory, the automagically-invoked 'make' for the SASL port inherits
this WITH_MYSQL and DTRT.  In this scenario, even if Postfix does not honor
the WITH_MYSQL flag, you would have to define it anyway for the build
of the dependent port, so it makes no sense for the Postfix port to use
a different, additional, non-standard, not-really-certain-to-be-error-proof
mechanism to detect the need for -lmysqlclient and such.

G'luck,
Peter

--
What would this sentence be like if pi were 3?