Date:      Fri, 8 Apr 2005 18:28:27 -0400
From:      "Ken Menzel" <kenfreebsd@icarz.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Error reading CD on 5.4 RC1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Menzel" <kenfreebsd@icarz.com>
To: <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 11:49 AM
Subject: Error reading CD on 5.4 RC1

>I am not sure this is directly related to 5.4 RC1 any suggestions are
>appreciated.
>
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG HARDWARE ERROR asc=0x08 ascq=0x03 error=0
> acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (2 retries left)

<more cut>

> Notes on weird stuff:
> 1) Does not seem to happen until I install my Adaptec SCSI RAID
> 2230S. Don't know why.
> 2) I need to use 5.4 to get support for 2230S without patching.
> 3) cpio hangs at this error.  IE: during install I get a hang or
> running sysinstall to install ports etc.
> 4)  acd0: DVDROM <TEAC DVD-ROM DV-28E-C/D.4B> at ata0-master UDMA33,
> previous 2 systems I setup used a CD drive with no problems (May be
> related to Teac DVD?)

<much cut>

Please ignore this as the TODO list has the fix marked pending.  I set
hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
in /boot/loader.conf

I don't know how to do this from an install CD, but I got far enough
to boot the system and set this value.

Sorry for the noise,  how the default is changed before 5.4 release.

Ken