Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:53:37 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

I agree completely that the manpages are not and should not be a
substitute for a good networking book.

Part of the conceptual problem is that Ethernet has evolved far
from its coax origin, when it really was a broadcast medium.  As
soon as twisted-pair was born, Ethernet became *electrically*
point-to-point, but continues to be logically broadcast.  With
fancy GBICs these days running GigE over dark fiber up to 70 km,
Ethernet makes an awfully nice point-to-point technology.

Despite all that, I've never seen a fixed point-to-point circuit
that was not a /30 if it landed on its own interface at the ISP's
router.  The exceptions are all multiplexed/channeled at the ISP.
I'm not sure RFC3021 is out there in the real Internet yet.
Has anyone seen a T1 or better provisioned as a /31?

Barney