Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:13:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        ben@stuyts.nl
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDR says: Attempt to query device size failed...

Ben Stuyts wrote...
> I've been getting the following message, usually within a minute or so after
> booting. It shows up only once, and doesn't seem to interfere with normal
> operation of the CDR:
>
> (cd1:ahc0:0:5:0): READ CD RECORDED CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> (cd1:ahc0:0:5:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
> (cd1:ahc0:0:5:0): Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
> cd1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> cd1: <PHILIPS CDD2600 1.06> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd1: 3.300MB/s transfers
> cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Logical unit not ready,
> cause not reportable
>
> This is not a new error. It has been happening for several months now, but I
> never got around to reporting this.
>
> Any idea what the problem is?

It probably just means your drive doesn't have a CD in it.  I've seen
similar reports for other Philips and HP CD-R drives.  In fact, that's why
0x04-type errors are acceptable for the CD driver's attach routine.  It
used to be that if it got an error back, the CD driver would only continue
to attach if that error was a "medium not present" error.  Because of those
Philips and HP drives, though, the CD driver will attach even if the error
is a "not ready" type error.

Did you boot with -v?  You probably shouldn't be getting the "large" error
message above, just the condensed error message from the CD driver if
you're not booting with -v.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry