Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 02:33:43 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Chance Daryl SrA AMC CSS/SAS <DARYL.CHANCE@SCOTT.AF.MIL>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: FW: bad link ppp

> > Ensure that sio1 was probed correctly (run ``dmesg'').  If it is,
> > please post the full message.
>
> I'll keep this in mind when I try and install 4.0 again, the box
> was down for most of this weekend, so I made the wife a little
> ticked since she was bored and couldn't do anything on the net :).
>
> Just so I know for future knowledge, what should I do if it isn't
> probed correctly?
[.....]

Tricky.... there could be lots of things wrong.  The most common
things are problably one of the following

o  The modem is a winmodem (can't be fixed as it's not a *real*
   modem).
o  You've got the wrong irq (need to boot with -c and fix it)
o  You've got the wrong i/o address (use another com port)
o  You've got a PnP modem (ensure you haven't set the BIOS to PnP os,
   otherwise boot -v to find the PnP id and file a bug report).
o  Something else.... dunno.  I usually avoid answering this sort of
   question :-/

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>