Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:49:00 -0400 (CDT)
From:      Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@uncle.cult.cu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Full-duplex on a NIC

Hi everyone:

I have a FreeBSD box, v 3.2-STABLE.

I also have a ALN 315C NIC, from Acer, sporting a DEC 21143 Ethernet Chip,
this is a 10/100 Mbits card.

The problems is that on boot up, while the system is recognizing the
existence of all the hardware support built into the GENERIC kernel it
first negotiates 10 MBits/s instead of 100 MBits/s. This card is hook to a
10/100 MBits/s autosensing switch hub.
I have to pass the necessary flags to ifconfig via /etc/rc.conf to turn it
to Fast Ethernet, besides it is unnable to run full-duplex.

Question number one is:

Why it doesn't hook the the switch at Fast Ethernet speed from the first
time, I mean, before /etc/rc gets running. Is it a problem of the
autonegotiation feature of the card or the kernel.

Why it doesn't use its full-duplex capabilities although I "tell" it to do
so. I mean, the switch doesn't show the card is in full-duplex mode
although I said mediaopt full-duplex to the ifconfig flags.

Any help or explanation will be very welcome.

Mr. Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez
Net Manager & Sys Admin
CEISIC. Ministry of Culture