Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 08:18:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      sos@freebsd.org (Soren Schmidt)
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDi 2.0 binary compatibility question

> >In short, I couldn't find a magic incantation to make BSDI 2.0 produce
> >executables that would run on FreeBSD, even though FreeBSD seems to
> >recognize the executable format. I think it's kind of unfair that
> >BSDI people can use our binaries, but not the other way around. Am
> >I missing something here, or is this a bug?
>
>    Based on what you said above, it sounds like the BSDI's crt0 is messing
> with the environment strings and BSDI stores/deals with them differently that
> FreeBSD. I suggest looking carefully at their crt0.c. It's quite possible that
> this particular incompatiblity may not be easily fixed.

This is very likely, and we have the technology in the kernel to muck
around with the stack and stuff before calling crt0 from the loader
(this is used for running Linux binaries too). I just requieres that
we use another sysentvec for the BSDi-2.0 binaries...

Soren Schmidt      (sos@FreeBSD.org | sos@kmd-ac.dk)      FreeBSD Core Team
..