Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:20:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To:        "Rouzer, Charles A (Chuck)" <car@vitalit.com>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Rouzer, Charles A (Chuck) wrote:

> System originally created by Sistina and also available for Linux only by
> The OpenGFS Project.  What would be a cluster capable file system you might
> suggest?

Lustre. I don't really think GFS qualifies as a file system in spite of
the name.

> > no, please check out Plan 9, cluster-wide /proc is not a good thing. At
> > most you want the bproc-style proc.
>
>     Why?

global is bad. Global requires consensus, and DLMs and all that bad stuff.
Please check out what Plan 9 does, it's really pretty neat. Way more than
I can describe in an email.

> > start at 1024.
>
>    I just want to start with 2. hehe

yeah but if you don't think in large terms you'll build things that won't
go, e.g. OpenSSI.

>   I would think that being able to suspend and move processes between
> machines would be a good thing.

That is unrelated to global shared memory in clusters.

thanks

ron
p.s. Just hoping that FreeBSD can get in this game too.