Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:11:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   *still* unable to su!?

I'm still baffled.

Thanks for the several previous responses and I went back and did
them again.

I've added new users with their default group as wheel. It is so
reflected in master.passwd. I've "invited" them into wheel as well
(and by modifying /etc/group). I'm at the point of rebooting when
doing this (billions and billions of times...).

I've even reinstalled the binaries. (from copies extracted into an
alternate directory - my CD is bad - the sysinstall fails to
complete without error but if copied to disk and the the install.sh
run, everything works.)

Performance of the root login is normal. I can log into the root user
in Swat (spiffy new samba interface... that's another story) and do
root type stuff on smb.conf as well as stop and start samba - this
from a user login on X. Root can su to a user but after doing that
cannot su to superuser. The password is asked for followed by the
inevitable:

	Sorry

Just like if you are a user trying to su.

As mentioned above. My installation was not normal. Sysinstall failed
to completely extract everything (silently!?) so the install process
died at the point where MAKEDEV is "remaking" all devices. There are
several following processes that never got done. The machine is running
with the live file system copied from the CD (over which I have
reinstalled binaries - with no error).

I'm baffled. Any ideas?... Anyone?...

Thanks

John