Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 1995 00:23:56 +0300
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Mail... (fwd)

   Each FreeBSD machine might have such a limit.  The idea here would be to
   build a "cluster" design to handle your growth by adding machines.  Do
   you really want more than 256 people on one box simultaneously?

No, but on average each user consumes 3-4 pty's for screen, xterms or
things like that.  That's the average on our systems (we run out of 64 with
less than 15 users).  We currently utilize something like a cluster (users
can log into 3 machines).  The servers aren't similar.  Both 1.1.5.1
("stable" servers and routers) and 2-current ("unstable" servers, new
routers), in addition to Linux (terminal servers) and older junk we have
gathered during our existence (old suns).  This is a mess, really, but
seems to be unavoidable these days (we probably have to add NetBSD, LITES
and Hurd next :-).

   Using a terminal server front end will allow you to switch users based
   on incoming protocol type, load, or software version.   (you also don't
   have to futz with serial drivers or burden your box with serial interrupts).

386-33 with 16 V34's connected with a cyclades card doesn't seem to cause
any visible load (load average stays under 15%).  Haven't tried to server
PPP yet, but will do so soon.  This is with Linux, 8M, dedicated to be a
terminal server.

   One philosophy of design that you definetly do not want to use is the
   "one giant box does it all" plan.  This is an old mainframe plan and
   every plan has a flaw!  In the 80's the centralized versus distributed
   debate was fought and the centralized guys lost.

We have been trying to implement this, but we would like to get rid of all
different dedicated hardware, just have free unix systems on all jobs,
including terminal servers and routing.  If we need more power, the PC shop
next door will be happy to provide us with a couple more pc's.  Not yet
there, unfortunately.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN