Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:26:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, jehamby@lightside.com, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: Building Solaris->FreeBSD cross binutils

> If you are seriously interested in GNAT, then you may want to try bootstrapping
> it from a working NetBSD or Linux version.  In fact, I was once able to get an
> older version of GNAT working in FreeBSD using the Linux version running in
> FreeBSD's binary emulation mode as a bootstrap!  It seemed to work okay, but
> failed one of the floating-point demo programs, so I gave up.

I thought about using the Linux version of GNAT, but didn't see how I
could build a native FreeBSD version of GNAT with the Linux version.
The Linux version of GNAT would want to build a Linux binary.
Perhaps it could be somehow forced to build a FreeBSD binary, but
I didn't know how to do that.

> Of course, now GNAT is a more complicated program to bring up, because you'll
> need to test the tasking support against FreeBSD's implementation of POSIX
> threads, and patch gnatbl to link with "-nostdlib -lc_r" instead of the
> nonthread-safe C library.  Which makes it an even more worthwhile project,
> because it has the potential to shake out any bugs lurking in our threads
> library.  :)

Exactly :-)

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org