Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:22:00 -0700
From:      "Gudknecht, Joel" <Joel.Gudknecht@Honeywell.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jgcarri@paccd.cc.ca.us
Subject:   Re: Realtek 8139 wants same irq as VGA - fixes?

First thing I would try is your BIOS. Depending on how dummied down it is
(from the vendor) you may be able to change IRQ reservations to prevent the
conflict.

>>> John Carri 08/28/01 12:07PM >>>
Hi, I'm a FreeBSD newbie trying to get a small ethernet network going. I
have FreeBSD 4.2 running on a 200MHz Pentium (Sony Vaio).  I first
installed a 3Com 3c509b card, and even after installing and configuring
it correctly experienced up to 95% packet loss and 60-second response
times to a ping from the other end of a single crossover cable (!).

I replaced the 3c509b with an off-brand PCI ethernet card that uses the
Realtek 8139 chipset. Installation went smoothly, dmesg reports no
errors, and I now have 0% packet loss and sub millisecond ping response
times. All good news so far.

The problem is that the Realtek card grabbed irq 10,  and the VGA
adapter wants the same irq, according to dmesg. As a result I can only
run in command line mode, attempts to run xinit result in a handful of
errors and failure. I thought that two devices on a PCI bus could share
irqs, but evidently the Realkek card and my VGA don't agree (xinit
worked fine before I installed the NIC).

Is there a way to tell the Realtek card to use a different irq, or a way
to tell FreeBSD 4.2 to assign it a different irq?  Can the Realtek card
have PlugNPlay turned off and be configured to a specific irq with some
kind of DOS configure utility, like the 3c509, and if so, where can I
find this utility? So far I have failed to find it on the Web.

TIA,
-John Carri