Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 96 15:42:12 EDT
From:      gtc@aloft.att.com (gary.corcoran)
To:        dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk questions

Doug,

Thanks for your reply - any and all help appreciated.
But since you were only able to answer some of my questions, could I
hear from someone else the answer to the other questions (repeated below)?

Thanks!
Gary

I have my second hard disk setup with the following slices:

Slice 1: DOS
Slice 2: Unused (for the moment)
Slice 3: Unused (for the moment)
Slice 4: FreeBSD

I setup the FreeBSD slice in disktab with an 'a' partition, a 'b' partition,
and of course a 'c' partition.

2. The man page isn't clear on this: are the 'offsets' in the disktab
describing the partitions relative to the _slice_ and NOT the start of the
entire disk?

5. My primary swap is referenced as sd0s1b.  How do I reference my swap
('b' partition) on my second disk?  I would guess that it might be
referenced as sd1s4b - but there is no such device in /dev.  Can MAKEDEV
make this?  If so, what option(s) should I give to MAKEDEV?

6. Is sd1s4b the "proper" way to refer to my secondary swap partition, or
is sd1b okay/sufficient/the same ?  I haven't tried to enable my secondary
swap yet - I don't want to accidently scribble on a wrong portion of my
disk!  At least not until I learn how to make FreeBSD backups using my
new SCSI DAT drive which I also just installed...    ;-}