Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 19:48:38 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@well.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copyright law, again...

At 02:29 PM 5/23/2001, James Howard wrote:

>> I do not believe that it would have happened, or contained the provisions
>> it did, were it not for Napster, Stallman, Barlow, and others who rallied
>> consumers to use the Internet to grab content without paying. The same
>> is true of UCITA. The war was escalated, and both sides took extreme
>> positions.
>
>This proves nothing. Which was my point to begin with.  This claim is
>completely unverifiable until you find Valenti saying "Stallman is such a
>jerk, we need to do something to get even with him."

Not so. If a demagogue stirs up the rabble, and the rabble do damage,
those being damaged need to protect themselves against the rabble. They
may not even know who is doing the stirring, but they do need to limit
the damage. It's not a matter of "getting even," it's a matter of damage
control.

--Brett