Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 15:42:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Craig Johnston <caj@lfn.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   those error messages from pcm w/ESS1868(?)

Found 'em.

SoundBlaster: DSP command(0xd0) timeout.  IRQ conflict ?
SoundBlaster: DSP command(0xd3) timeout.  IRQ conflict ?

It spits these out one after the other when I do
cat /dev/audio > foo and ctrl-c to stop it.  Nothing is
written to foo.

Again, this was with an (probed as, anyway) ESS1868 on yesterday's current
with the pcm driver.  There is no IRQ conflict.  For more details see
my previous message on the subject sent to -multimedia.

If nobody is working on fleshing out support for this chip, I'm willing
to do it provided I can get the programming info and familiarize myself
with what I'll need to know to do so.

I've never really done anything with device drivers, but I can code and
I'm a can-do kinda guy who was looking for a reason to do something
like this.  Any suggestions as to resources would be welcome.

I'm cc'ing to -mobile because this is the chip on my thinkpad 560e and
there might be interest or someone else working on it.  If it is
indeed an ESS1868 as probed, the ESS site says it's a full duplex
chip supporting 16-bit audio, so should be worth supporting.

-Craig