Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:06:59 +0100
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        "N. Del More" <ndelmore@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Router Cards?

N. Del More wrote:

> Does any one have any experience or knowledge about the Emerging
> Technologies ET/5025x or the SDL Communications WANic or RISCom boards
> insofar as their suitabilty as a router is concerned?
>
> Both companies basically claim that you pop it in either your server or a
> spare system and through the wonders of software and technology ... bingo
> ... instant router.
>
> Seems like a VERY attractive alternative to a VERY expensive Cisco on the
> surface especially for a startup like me.
>
> Thanks
> Noel

I use both and have done for 2 years or more.  I believe their claims
are correct (although I wouldn't say it is instant).  I am very happy
with these products and installation is fairly easy.

There is another issue that as yet I haven't seen discussed regarding PC
Unix routers versus dedicated routers.  Recently a large number of
Internet routers went belly up as a major ISP loaded a large number of
new routes into the routing tables.  This caused these dedicated routers
to run out of memory and reboot, creating a lot of instability and route
flapping.  Considering the (virtual) nature of PC Unix memory I do not
know if any PC Unix routers suffered the same fate.

As I understand the main selling point of dedicated router products like
cisco is reliability, in that their are no moving parts to wear out
(other than the cooling fan).  However beyond a simple configuration and
when lots of memory is needed they become VERY expensive.  If in fact
they are not as reliable as PC Unix routers in the face of this kind of
event then the whole point of buying them becomes redundant, given the
fact that you can expect years of reliability out of PCs.

regards
damian

--
*    Damian Hamill   M.D.       damian@cablenet.net