Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 1997 23:29:10 -0800
From:      Kingson Gunawan <kingson@geocities.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory out of range???

At 01:26 PM 11/5/97 +1030, Mike Smith wrote:
>> I have the following setup/config:
>> Tyan m/b Tahoe series Dual P-II/266 with 1GB memory (yes, 1024MB of
>> RAM).
>> DPT smartraid-4 (UW), Adaptec 2940UW
>> Matshita CD-ROM (SCSI)
>> 8 IBM UW SCSI 4.1GB drives (7 configured as raid attached to DPT, the
>> rest attached to the Adaptec).
>
>Hmm, nice configuration.  I am presuming you'll be looking at the DPT
>driver soon?

Yes, I've discussed this with Simon.  The reason I of booting with a
'regular' boot floppy is to verify the very same result I got with the boot
floppy containing the dpt driver.  It sure is a really heavy duty config,
however, looks like I should not put memory >512MB (due to caching issue???)

>> I made the boot floppy from the image in the
>> current.freebsd.org:/pub/3.0-971101-SNAP/floppies.
>> I know this boot floppy will not recognize the DPT controller.  However,
>> the boot floppy crashed with:
>> 	"bounced memory: out of range" (or something like that)
>> right after the install config screen.
>>
>> Any idea?
>
>Yup.  You have too much memory for the "BOUNCE_BUFFERS" option, which
>is part of the boot floppy's configuration (in order to support
>slightly lower-end systems 8).  If you can temporarily remove most of
>your memory until after you've installed and built a new kernel,
>you'll be fine.

I'll try your suggestion.  Hopefully, I have a better luck tomorrow... :-)