Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:57:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James C. Durham" <durham@sludge.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   ssh dropping connections/sendmail IP

I am using ssh to tunnel from my "remote server" located
at a remote location with a public IP number to my "local
server" behind an ISP's firewall using a DSL connection.

The ssh connection keeps dropping out. I have KeepAlive "YES" and
IdleTime set to 104w (2 years). I have just started having a little
script on the remote machine send me the date/time every 30 seconds
and that seems to keep it up. Is this behavior normal?

Also, I'm having problems sending mail from sendmail on my local
machine because the IP gets translated to something that doesn't
resolve at the ISP's firewall. This means I can't send to
some sites (freebsd-security being one of them!). I've been trying
to see a way that I can relay the sendmail feed through my remote server
using port redirection. I can't run the sendmail daemon on the remote
server because port 25 is already bound to ssh.

(I need sendmail to run on the local machine because I'm doing some
stuff which requires that).

Thanks,

Jim Durham