Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:36:51 -0700
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordon@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   nextboot(8) was Re: install_and_reboot target for kernel's...

--RNRUMt0ZF5Yaq/Aq

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 05:11:33PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 August 2004 04:05 pm, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> >
> > a) not everyone knows about nextboot, putting it in the makefile and
> > 	documenting it will allow more people to know about it
>=20
> That I debate. :)  Having a bikeshed on arch@ might let more people know =
about=20
> it, but documenting things doesn't always make them more widely known. =
=20
> There's a reason they are called FAQs.  Also, the intended audience for t=
his=20
> target is mostly developers, and they probably already know about nextboo=
t.

As the author of the current incarnation of nextboot, I was surprised with
the number of people on IRC that said things like "I wish I could boot a
kernel for a single run, and if it crashed it would automagically revert
to the previous kernel." Well, this is exactly what nexboot does since we
have write support in the loader.

So I think there are a fair number of developers that aren't familiar with
what nextboot does.

-gordon

--RNRUMt0ZF5Yaq/Aq

--RNRUMt0ZF5Yaq/Aq--