Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:13:59 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp not talking to to 10baseT network

>The second solution sounds best, replacing the cards. In the meantime can
>you let me know what sort of "garbage" I might be looking for on the
>network? or how to find it?

   I can't really help you much here; I can't find the Eratta at the moment,
but I seem to recall that the 82557 receiver locks up when the preamble and/or
sync bits are messed up. This can happen, for instance, when people
plug/unplug cables from a hub that has poor or no protection from line
transients, or it can also happen with damaged cables. I've also heard of
problems when certain hubs or switches are power cycled.

>[I'll still try and get the cards replaced as I've just checked and they
>don't have any revision 2 type markings on them =(]

   You'll need to look at the device probe. The older chips are identified
as "rev 1"; the newer chips are "rev 2".

-DG

David Greenman