Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 96 13:37:39 MET DST
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        bernard@cityscape.co.uk (Bernard Jauregui)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, isdn@muc.ditec.de
Subject:   Re: Internal ISDN Cards

> Using FreeBSD in all our routers, it would be really good to have ISDN
> cards in some some machines, however I can find nothing documented.

Yes, I'm afraid documentation is still a problem :-(

> Are no generally available cards supported ?

Currently supported boards include the Teles and Creatix S0 and
Dr. Neuhaus Niccy 3008 and 3009.

> Does anyone know of an internal ISDN card that mimics a COM port (as
> modems do) ?

We've been through quite a lengthy discussion of this point in hackers
and the ISDN list recently.  The result was that the Germans didn't
think much of the modem-style TAs (and the Americans did).  I won't
bore people with my reasons again, but basically dedicated ISDN boards
are cheaper, faster and more reliable.  On the down side, we still
need to get the software up to scratch.

> Has anyone else any experience with ISDN and BSD ?

There's a mail list at isdn@muc.ditec.de.  At the moment I've
forgotten how to sign up--Gary, your call (why didn't you mention this
in your reply)?  The language is supposed to be English, though
sometimes people lapse...

> Racal have generously lent me a couple of X.Toll cards. What resources
> are available for developing a native BSD driver ?

Gary's gone into detail here.  What are the boards like?
Greg Lehey                       LEMIS
grog@lemis.de			 Schellnhausen 2
Tel: +49-6637-919123		 36325 Feldatal
Fax: +49-6637-919122		 Germany