Date:      10 Jan 2003 17:36:30 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0-RC2 won't install (zf_read & vm_fault) while 4.7 will

I got an old P100 I'm preparing for NAT duty at a Linux meeting and I
tried to install 5.0-RC2 on it.  Near end of mfsroot.flp loading I get:

    zf_read: unexpected EOF

but it continues booting.  Just after normal msgs about fd0 & ppc, it
starts spewing unending messages so fast I can't read them well.
Something like this, over and over:

    vm_fault: pager read error pid 1 error 5 [...]
    spec_getpages: (md0) [...]

I bit-checked the CD and floppies and they're good.

Apparently I have an Intel chipset.  From boot msgs:

    Intel 82371SB PCI to ISA bridge
    Intel PIIX3 ATA controller
    fdc0 NEC 72065B or clone

The 'puter installs Linux and FreeBSD 4.7 OK (except only Linux
will boot from the CD).

There were only a few msgs at groups.google.com with that error msg
and not much help, but then I don't need 5.0 and so don't need help.

BTW, that "md0" looked interesting to me because I just had this error
on my main 5.0 (08'jan'03) system when trying to fix my script which
uses (used) obsolete "vnconfig".

$ XXX=$(mdconfig -a -t vnode -u 0 /big/ftp/pub/5.0-RC2-i386-disc1.iso)
mdconfig: ioctl(/dev/mdctl): Bad address