Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:27:57 -0700
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

--==========3631359384==========

--On Tuesday, August 27, 2002 11:49:53 AM +0100 Mark Murray=20
<mark@grondar.za> wrote:

> I would very much like to make this list subscriber-only. This will
> cut down dramatically on spam and the inevitable misdirected
> 'subscribe' postings. The downside is that folks will not be able
> to reply to the list if they receive it via a list redirector (IE
> if a corporate role account/list-alias has been used to subscribe).
> In this case, those folks would become read-only members (which may
> in some cases be OK). Other folks would need to subscribe to the
> list with their 'real' email address.

One of the things I really like about Mailman is that it is easy for
subscribers to set a 'no-deliver' flag.  This is by far the easiest
way for a user to handle posts from multiple addresses or posting from
a redirector list.  (I have one mailing list to which I'm subscribed
under five different addresses.  Only one recieves posts from the list.)

-Pat