Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:35:35 -0700
From:      Matt Payne <mpayne@hpcoatings.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATI Radeon 7000 & X11 & FreeBSD 4.5 RC

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting this card to work
successfully. The card is a 32 MB DDR agp card on an Asus A7A266 motherboard
with an ALiMAGiK 1 chipset. I've flashed the BIOS to the most recent update.

I've tried to use it by adding both "options	agp" to my kernel and via
DRM-KMOD. The kernel picks it up as agp0 and DRM-KMOD actually recognizes it
as a Radeon card.

I've tried using both the ports version of X11 (4.1_XX) as well as the most
recent cvs version.

The problem is that no matter what I do, my computer either freezes entirely
or reboots. This happens with XFree86 -configure, xf86cfg, startx, etc. The
only config option that works is xf86config, which, of course doesn't list
this particular card and which doesn't create a useable XF86Config file.

I've also tried installing from ports anything I've see mentioned on the web,
such as linux-DRI.

If anyone has successfully managed to get a similar setup working, I'd be
really interested to hear about how you did it. I realise this may be a long
shot.

Please cc me in your replies. This email address is not on the list.

Thanks for any help.

Matt