Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:04:36 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipf/IPFilter/ipnat  vers    ipfw/IPFW/nat

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:

> I scanned the questions archives and sniped this info.
> I would like to know if the views stated are correct.
> Any other insight or background info would be great.
>
> Does the ipf port install as userland or kernel & how to force kernel?

The firewall/nat code itself is kernel code. The utilities are user space

> Is there a package install for ipf or ipnat?

No. They are part of the base system.

> Where would I find the ipf and ipnat ports?

They already are in the system.

> Where can I find info on ipnat?

the ipnat man pages:
man 1 ipnat	# the ipnat(1) utility
man 5 ipnat	# the ipnat.conf file format
man 4 ipnat	# the ipnat API

The ipf howto:

http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/

The ipf mailing list archives:

http://false.net/ipfilter

And the ipf FAQ

http://home.earthlink.net/~jaymzh666/IPF-FAQ/IPFtoc.html

> What is the difference between nat and ipnat if both run in user land?
> Does IPFilter have a built in nat function?

natd runs in userspace. ipnat runs in kernel space.

Hope this helps

			Fer