Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:05:29 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@breaker.tormoz.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Andrew Stesin <stesin@breaker.tormoz.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bug? VLANs, fxp, Catalyst and link0 story

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Why do you need the link0 portion ?

For "carrier" interface? Sorry I don't know. :( It doesn't work without
it. For vlanXX interfaces, manpage states that link0 enables hardware
(firmware) processing of 802.1q tags in Intel ethernet chips. It is
supposed to work, doesn't it?

> Also, whatever you assign fxp0 will be part of the Cisco native VLAN So
> just try
>
> ifconfig_fxp0="inet 10.100.200.1 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex"
> fconfig_vlan0="inet 10.99.25.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 vlan 25 vlandev fxp0
> mtu 1500 up"
>
> and so on...

Sure it works, but this means - it works for *untagged* frames. And how
about frames which are *tagged* for VLAN ID 1? Or maybe VLAN ID 1 is a
"pseudo" one - for untagged frames only? I don't know, but I guessed that
frames which are tagged for VLAN ID 1 should also work.

> Post your Cisco port configs as well.  As you are specifying speeds and
> duplex settings, I take it you are doing the same on your cat right ?

This doesn't make a difference. "ifconfig blah-blah media autoselect" also
works, and speed/duplex parameters at the switch and on FreeBSD match each
other perfectly in both cases.

Thanks,
Andrew