Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 2008 12:14:58 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, no-spam@people.net.au
Subject:   Re: UFS2 limits

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 10:47:11AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:35:21 +0100, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> wrote:
> > Note that this does not limit the number of files you can have in a single
> > directory, since normal files do not contain hardlinks to the parent
> > directory, but there are of course limits to the total number of files and
> > directories you can have on a single filesystem based on how many inodes
> > were created when the filesystem was first created.
>
> Maybe this sounds stupid, but... given that a file system
> can hold n entries. What happens when a program tries to
> create file number n + 1?
>
> I do ask this in order to explore if this could have been
> the reason for my massive data loss and UFS file system
> corruption.

I haven't tested what actually happens, but what should happen is that the
attempt to create file n+1 will simply fail with some appropriate error code
(see open(2) or mkdir(2) for details.)  It is certainly not supposed to
cause any kind of files system corruption.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson