Date:      Sat, 05 Jul 1997 21:05:48 -0400
From:      Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
Cc:        Don Wilde <don@PartsNow.com>, Carey Nairn <cpn@ccd.tas.gov.au>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EDO vs non-parity RAM

Shawn Ramsey wrote:

> Also, if you board doesnt support parity RAM, and is an Intel chipset, it
> won't cache more than 64MB of RAM! The only decent Intel chipset really is
> the HX chipset. (Supports ECC and 512MB of cachable RAM)

Enlighten me: how does a motherboard "cache" RAM?  My Biostar 8500TUC
has the HX chipset, but according to the manual, *supports* just 128MB
of RAM, and can only *cache* 64MB of RAM.  (Obviously the motherboard
must itself be constucted to take advantage of the chipset.)  Is there
any point in putting more than 64MB on the motherboard?  Will more than
64MB of data just swap out to virtual memory, even if I have more than
64MB of RAM?

Michael