Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 10:09:15 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'parrothd@midwest.net'" <parrothd@midwest.net>
Subject:   RE: Keeping mutliple machine and telnets straight....

Jonathan E. Lyons wrote:

>Hello,
>	Now that I have 3 FreeBSD machines on my network I've developed
a nasty
>habbit. I tend to telnet around from machine to machine and sometimes
>(well, most of the time)lossing track of where I am. I've noticed on
other
>linux machines/shells the host name is in the command line...Ie...
>
>You have new mail.
>#
>
>You have new mail.
>hostname-#
>
>Is this just a different shell or what?
>

>Thanks!

What shell are you using?
If you are using tcsh, you could try adding this to your .cshrc file:

set prompt = %n'@'%M:'['%h']':%C3'>'

Don't ask me _how_ it works, it just does. It gives you a prompt like:

username@hostname:[command_no]:current_path>

ie:

fred@sparky:[4]:/home/fred>

if you are using csh, try this instead:

set prompt="`hostname`:`pwd`>"   (I hope the double quote characters are
readable)

and you'll get a prompt like

fred:/home/fred>

Jeff