Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:19:11 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        "Dan Trainor" <dan@ript.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports browser

> From: "Dan Trainor" <dan@ript.org>
> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:19:59 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Anyone know of an ncurses-based program or something that will let me
> browse my ports tree, and read me pkg-comment, pkg-descr, and plg-plist?
> I'd just like a more orderly way of browsing the list, and I don't feel
> like: cd port1; cat pkg*; (read for a while, ok) cd ..; cd port1; ....
> etc etc.  With over what was it, 1600 ports I believe, that becomes a
> pretty boring task.

The "right" way would be to use pib, but the port needs updating to the
new ports structure and I don't know when that might happen. (I really
don't have the time to do it myself, especially since it is written in
Tk, a language which I have not used in years.)

The "official" way is to cd to someplace in the ports tree and "make
readmes". You can do this at /usr/ports, but it will take a while!
Once complete, you the HTML browser of your choice to look around
starting at README.html in the directory you did the "make" in.

Note that readmes must be re-made when a port is updated or added so
you might want to do this again after a cvsup.