Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:49:49 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Kenneth Mays <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
Cc:        docs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug: "Man sb" , "man pcm, "man sbc" and the "controller" keyword

> 2. The snd drivers are depreciated in which you are told to use in the man
> pages of "man sbc", "man sb", and "man pcm". The documentation in these man
> pages are not very clear in some cases or will tell you to do things that
> are no longer valid procedures.

It would help if you pointed out what's wrong, even if you don't want
to send patches yourself.

I know very little about soundcards, but getting mine working was a
breeze and I got everything I needed from the handbook and the man
pages (mainly the pcm man page).  It didn't give me any misleading
information, but if it's misleading for your setup, you should say
what was wrong.

For me, it was vastly easier than linux (when I tried it a couple of
years ago, anyway).  And the handbook section seems very clear to me.

> Sidenote: Basically, this might not get fixed so late in the game but
> something to do for the -STABLE series. I hope everybody can pick up a copy
> of the latest handbook (09/09/01) off of:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.txt.zip

Nitpick: most people on this list would pick up the sgml version, and
people outside would prefer the html version or a printable version, I
think.