Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 04:56:33 +0100
From:      Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
To:        Guilherme Oliveira <guilherme@nortenet.pt>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Francisco Cabrita (NovoDesign) <franciscocabrita@novodesign.pt>
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4 buildworld errors

29/09/2001 04:45:57, Guilherme Oliveira <guilherme@nortenet.pt> wrote:

>Well, thanks for the answers, you were fast !!!
>
>So I've learned: buildworld, installworld, buildkernel, installkernel,
>mergemaster ... in this order.

This is -not- the recommended order... this is:

make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=...
[reboot if running securelevel 1 - I found installkernel had disappointing results
when I tried to skip this :)]
make installkernel KERNCONF=...
reboot into new kernel, single user
make installworld
mergemaster

Reason being if your kernel compile screws, you may have grave difficulty in
rolling back - old kernel + new world is much less reliable than new kernel + old
world, and rollback of the world from -STABLE to an earlier state isn't supported,
except of course by restoring that backup you took before upgrading ;p
Restoring an old kernel, however, is child's play - the installkernel rule leaves it
lying around for you as /kernel.old, along with the old modules in /modules.old/

HTH, HAND

Matthew