Date:      Sat, 18 May 2013 18:34:47 -0500
From:      sindrome <sindrome@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why does Samba requires 777 permissions on /tmp

I just found myself troubleshooting an issue where my desktop machine
couldn't login to my local samba server unless I have the /tmp directory
permissions set to 777.  I'd like to have it 775 not only for security
reasons but also because portupgrade always barks when the tmp directory it
set that way.  Is there something that can be tweaked in smb.conf so that I
can authenticate without that?

This was in the logs which led me to the root of the problem.
[2013/05/18 13:31:01,  0] smbd/service.c:191(set_current_service) chdir
(/tmp) failed

Once I changed it back to 777 the machine trust was working again.

It seems that I could set the TMPDIR environmental variable to another
directory but that's the very same variable that portupgrade uses so it
would still have the same issue.

These are the warnings that portupgrade gives if I keep the permissions
that way.

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/pkgtools/pkgtools.rb:483: warning:
Insecure world writable dir /tmp in PATH, mode 040777
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/pkgtools/pkgtools.rb:1170: warning:
Insecure world writable dir /tmp in PATH, mode 040777
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/pkgtools/pkgmisc.rb:108: warning:
Insecure world writable dir /tmp in PATH, mode 040777

Any thoughts on how I can make Samba not require 777 on /tmp?