Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:23:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        rickl@ic.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, randy@psg.com
Subject:   Re: cds disappeared

Rick Lotoczky wrote...
> I am having the same problem with the CD as Ken is.
> I also tried the suggested diagnostics with exactly the
> same results.  Media is in the drive, but it is not being
> recognized.  I've been building kernels since FBSD-0.9 so
> I think I got that right by now.  This cropped up somewhat
> recently (in the past few weeks).  My CD was working fine
> when I used it last month.  I usually rebuild the entire
> system once a week.
>
> I think there is a problem in the software.  Two different
> drives on two different machines (my CD is connected to
> an NCR SCSI controller) with the same problem.

This sounds like it could be a different problem than Randy Busy is having.
He has two CDROM drives, and it looks like they have been swapped somehow.

It sounds like you've only got one CDROM drive in each machine.

Please send the output of the following, with mountable media in the drive:

camcontrol devlist -v
camcontrol tur cd0 -v
camcontrol inquiry cd0
mount /dev/cd0a /mnt