Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:19:45 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc

Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net> wrote:
> Please keep in mind that if, in our haste, we import a compiler that
> puts instability into FreeBSD, then we've drunk poison.

I agree that -STABLE _must_ remain stable.

That said, I believe that we _do_ need to move forward.  I'd like to
see either EGCS or gcc-2.8.1 (and the former seems to be better
supported at present) brought into -current as soon as practical.

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:
>A legit concern, but also realize that all of us are talking about
>4.0 here - the new compiler would be an issue we'd have up to a full
>year on before the product it's in goes mainstream.

I'd like to see it merged back into the 3.x tree earlier than this.
The general complaining about compiler related issues (C++ and
FORTRAN-77 being the two most recent issues) will continue until the
compiler makes it into a release.  I think we should be able to easily
validate the compiler in time for the 3.x.y release due around October
(assuming the 4-monthly releases continue) - maybe even the June
release.

Peter