Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 15:05:17 -0400
From:      PCAKen@aol.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   failed installation problems...

Hi there !
I am in trouble, and in need of some technical help. I have just purchased a
P-166 system with 32 megs RAM, 4 gig Seagate Barracuda Hard drive, an NEC 6X
CD-ROM (:502) , an Adaptec 2940W controller card, Wang DAT backup
tape,Warning : Message rejected by targer and a 3COM Etherlink III network
card.

I partitioned the hard drive to use the full disk for FreeBSD, and then went
on thru with the complete installation of the O/S. Everything looked good
with the install, but when I re-booted the system, all I get is the "F?" . I
managed to make a boot floppy using another machine, and cam get the system
to boot with that and it automatically goes back into the install mode.
The trouble is, I can't get the system to recognize the CD-ROM. When the
system boots, the script on the screen finds all of the hardware on the
system, but I get the message "Warning : Message rejected by target: 0x1".
This message comes up after it tries to initialize the Wang DAT and the hard
drive.

The *REAL* trouble is that I can not access my CD-ROM. The CDROM is connected
to the ADAPTEC 2940W controller card, and it's ID # is 6. When I am booting
the system, After the CDROM comes up on the screen, I get a long delay, then
I get the message:

(ahcd0:6:0)
cdrom can't get the size
TFS is 1000KByte compiled in MFS

And then the install screen appears. When I try to load the software from the
CDROM while in the install mode, it tells me that there is no CDROM connected
to the system.
I have tried installing a minimal setup from floppies, but this always fails
too...

I'M DESPARATE !
The telephone company is outside right now connecting my 25 pairs of
telephone lines and my 56K line, and I'm out of business until I get this
figured out.

Please reply ASAP and let me know if you can help me or if there is anyone I
can contact VIA telephone that may be able to help me. I'm willing to pay a
reasonable ammount for the service !

Thanks in advance !
Ken Hodges
Owner