Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2000 05:04:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        James <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID/config questions

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, James wrote:

> I'm definitely interested in performance and reliability and willing
> to pay more.  This is for a server and not a workstation.
>
> I guess if I'm interested in a setup where I have 3 drives, with
> approximately 2/3 of the total space available, that is RAID0+1?

No, that would be RAID3, 4, or 5. RAID0+1 is striping and mirroring
combined, and provides 1/2 the normal capacity of your disks for the
benefit of improved performance AND reliability.

Here's a "what's RAID?" page:

  http://www.sansite.com/RAID_basics.htm

> I haven't worked with RAID before and I'd prefer my first experience
> to be as painless as possible.  Are there any RAID controllers/drives
> specifically tuned for each other?

Only when they're sold together. Really, it's more important to get a RAID
controller that's "tuned" to your OS by someone who writes a nice driver.
An example for FreeBSD would be one from DPT (now Adaptec). The drives
pretty much just tag along. (no pun intended) That doesn't mean it isn't a
good idea to get modern, matched, drives. I've seen some weird behavior
from controllers that got confused by a ragtag drive collection being used
across a volume. Not wanting to be the guinea pig for the controller
manufacturer's test suites, I now use identical drives for any single
"production" volume. So call me paranoid.

> I'm hoping to get some feedback on what RAID systems users on this
> list may recommend - and a good source for the products.  Thanks very
> much!

You should get plenty. :) Most of us here like vinum(4,8). It's fast,
free, and pretty reliable once you get to know it. But if you want to get
up-and-running quickly I suggest you go with one of the supported RAID
cards. Or, if you have the budget, use a SCSI-SCSI controller that
completely isolates the RAID setup and configuration from your computer
and OS. As in something like:

  http://www.cmd.com/brochure/crd5500.pdf

Dave