Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:19:55 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        "Mark B." <mkbucc@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Mark B." <mkbucc@gmail.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multi-platform dump and restore?

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 11:35:30AM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 10:59:27AM -0400, Mark B. wrote:
>
> > If I dump on amd64 should I be able to
> > extract files from the dump on i386?
> >
> > If so, should it be possible to restore a
> > FreeBSD amd64 dump on OpenBSD i386?
> >
> > Note there is ticket that may be related:
> >
> >      bin/67723:
> >
> >      restore(8) FreeBSD 5.x restore cannot handle
> >      other platforms/Linux(extfs)-dumps anymore
> >
> > ref: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=67723&cat=
> >
> > I thought the dump file format was sacrosanct.
> > Has there been heresy here?
>
> I am not sure what the heresy is here, but
> dump/restore can be sensitive to OS and OS version.
> There are many that it cannot cross, but some it can.
> The main thing is to check it before depending on it.

I should add for clarity.
So, the conflict would not be the different hardware
but differences in OS and filesystem versions.  Mostly
I have been able to dump on one version of BSD and
restore on another, apparently because the filesystems
have been sufficiently similar.   But, as I said before,
Check it before you depend on it.

////jerry