Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:34:25 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about healthd and mprime

In message <200808072237.52918.pieter@degoeje.nl>, you wrote:

>On Thursday 07 August 2008, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> Problem is: documentation of healthd's output is almost non-existant.
>> OK, so when it prints those three temperature numbers, which one stands
>> for what?  And if, as I surmize, the last (and highest) one is CPU
>> temp, then why doesn't it seem to change at all?  I'm guessing that
>> I just need to create some artificial load, yes?
>
>Try sysutils/k8temp. When run with -n, it only prints the CPU's temperature.

Ummmm... On the system I'm most interested in at the moment, which has
only _one_ athlon64 _single core_ processor in the whole system,
k8temp -n prints this:

19
10

So, this yields two problems:

1)  Which number is the Right One?

2)  Assming those numbers are given in C, both of them appear to be
    impossible numbers.  My motherboard BIOS is saying that the CPU
    is running at around 39-40c.  So even if the Right Answer from
    k8temp is the bigger number (19) that's _still_ below even the
    room temperature, I think.  In short, it looks like useless non-
    information.   Do you agree?  (By the way, I'm in California, and
    it is summer here.  It _ain't_ cold where I am.  Room temp right
    now is about 78F.)

>Together with rrdtool it makes a nice graph:
>http://lux.student.utwente.nl/~pyotr/stats/graphs/temperature-all-168.png

Thanks, but I don't need fancy graphs.

>> OK, so _now_ I've looked around and found out that a lot of folks
>> these days heat up their CPUs by running the "mprime" thingy.  Swell.
>> But I don't know diddly poo about this program.  So can somebody please
>> tell me the set of "best" command line options for the thing if your
>> only goal is to stress your CPU?
>
>I don't know about mprime, but running "make -j4 buildworld" in /usr/src will
>make your CPU sweat.

I was hoping to find something that didn't touch disk (nor use up all of
my remaining space in the /usr partition).  I think I'll wait and try to
learn more about mprime.  But thanks.