Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:48:10 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with -current ppp

> On Mon, Sep 22, 1997 at 01:52:08AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > > I've been having this *exact* same problem of carrier being dropped
> > > and thought it was my ISP's fault. Will someone please elaborate.
> >
> > Due to more than one problem, ppp was failing to hang up on loss of
> > carrier.  It also used to have a problem negotiating CCP with a peer
> > that wanted a different sort of CCP.
> >
> > These problems are now fixed.  A current version of ppp is available
> > on http://www.freebsd.org/~brian.
> >
> > > Tom
> >
> > --
> > Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
> >       <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;
> > Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....
> >

> Well thanks for the effort Brian. Unfortunately, it had no effect on the
> problem.
>
> The reliable way for me to reproduce this is to call my shell account at
> the university and try to send a 69k msg, drops every time, here lately.

Is this a mail message ?  Maybe your ISPs MDA only does up to 64k
messages.  You could try splitting it into two.

> I've always got a 'unknown protocol 0x803f' and show hdlc gives proto:1
> but the connection has worked much better in the past. This is into a NT4.0
> ISP if that makes a difference.

>From rfc1700, protocol 0x803f is a NetBIOS Framing Control Protocol.
Ppp doesn't understand NetBIOS, so it rejects it.

> btw, is this version of ppp different than the current version on 3.0?

Nope.  It's the same with a couple of auto-hacks.  Essentially, I
have a script on freefall that modifies the -current
ppp/pppctl/libalias/libutil code so that it builds on 2.1.5 and up.
When I make a significant change, I run my script and it builds the
archive.

> Maybe it is my ISP  <?>

It may reject messages >64k, but It's unlikely to drop the line on
you.  Try setting your logging with

  set log phase chat connect command lcp ccp ipcp tun

and see if anything interesting is produced in the log.  If you just
see a "Disconnected", then you ISP is hanging up on you.  I'd have a
moan at them if that's the case.