Date:      Wed, 07 Sep 2005 07:19:18 -0800
From:      "Boris Karloff" <modelt20@canada.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   port scanning and hidden servers

Hello:

I have a user on my network with a Linux box that is
performing a port scan on all the computers in my network
manually. He's doing this 'because he can'. Although I've
asked him not to, he continues to do so.

1) How can I block or inhibit port scans launched against my
freeBSD servers from within my network?

2) How can I 'hide' my freeBSD servers from users on the
network? (If they can't see them, then they don't know to
scan them.)

Thanks in advance.

Harold

Upgrade your account today for increased storage; mail
forwarding or POP enabled e-mail with automatic virus
scanning. Visit
http://www.canada.com/email/premiumservices.html for more
information.