Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 07:54:33 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 09:03:25PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Doug White wrote:
> > Yes, we call it "a null pointer dereference in kernel." You want to grab
> > the crashdump and backtrace it to see where the bad data sprouted from.
>
> Crashdump?  If you can tell me how to get one out of a 4gig server, I'll
> gladly get one for you ... its not the first time she's crashed, nor do I
> expect it to be the last ;(
> Any way of using that for the crash dump?  Its a remote server, so I can't
> use DDB on this :(

Actually, yes you can use DDB on it, just not directly.  :-)

options DDB, DDB_UNATTENDED

(Of course, you might know reasons why DDB_UNATTENDED won't work in
your case, but as a general rule it's pretty reliable.)

Pardon the self-promotion, but here's how I dealt with crashing remote
servers.  Maybe it'll help.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/03/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/04/04/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

==ml