Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:45:41 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail 4.6 fixed binary on 4.5-RELEASE ?

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 04:36:02PM -0800, Josh Brooks wrote:

> I am using:
>
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/SA-03:04/sendmail-4.6-i386-crypto.bin.gz
>
> as a binary replacement for my sendmail binaries on my 4.6.x systems.  It
> is working fine.
>
> But what if I use this binary replacement on a 4.5-RELEASE system ?
>
> Has anyone tested or tried this ?  I would assume it would work because I
> notice many apps moving gracefully between 4.5 and 4.6, but I wonder if
> anyone has any official word - or even a prediction ?

It's unlikely that there will be any "official" word that the binary
patch you're using will work on releases earlier than 4.6.  As the
upgrade from sendmail-8.11.6 to sendmail-8.12.x and the corresponding
fun'n'games due to dropping the SUID bit on sendmail and the import of
/etc/rc.sendmail all occurred between release 4.5 and release 4.6 I
doubt that it would work entirely smoothly.

It's possible that the patched version might work on a 4.5 system, but
don't throw away the old sendmail binary until you're sure.  It's
probable that you will need to:

    chmod 4755 /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail  (Only on 4.5-RELEASE or prior)

and you will see complaints in /var/log/maillog about inconsistent
versions of sendmail.cf if it does work at all.

Alternatively you could either try installing the ports version of
sendmail or cvsup'ing to the latest RELENG_4_5 sources and running a
{build,install}world.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way