Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:00:42 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Jochen Fahrner <freebsd@fahrners.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on iMac G3

Jochen Fahrner wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Given the error message, it's worth a try at least.  The sysctl is for
>> ignoring the mmap checks, and is most needed by the Radeon driver, but
>> given the error message, it would probably work for the Rage as well.
>>

> Ok, I will give it a second try. Just deleted my Gentoo
> installation. ;-)
>
> But the Gentoo boot disc has a nice mac-fdisk. So you can get rid of
> the dozens of tiny slices that Apple disk utility creates on the disk
> (for booting OS 9 and such things).
>
> Can someone mail me the HFS bootloader mentioned here?
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ppc/2008-October/003256.html
>
> It's not on the sources from cd. And cvsup-without-gui cannot be
> installed on PPC. (why that?)
> I first want to try if the basic things work, before I do the long
> Xorg compile.

You can find it at http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/boot1.hfs.bz2.
It's 800K after decompression, and should be dd'ed onto a free partition
somewhere on your disk, of type Apple_Bootstrap or Apple_HFS. You should
be able to use the gpart utility in FreeBSD to add one (pass the type as
!Apple_Bootstrap), or use the Gentoo mac-fdisk utility.

The reason that it isn't in 7.2 is that it hasn't been MFC'ed yet --
most of this kind of work that has been done lately was done in
8.0-CURRENT, and I haven't had time to MFC a lot of it (like the boot
loader) or to update sysinstall to support it. cvsup-without-gui isn't
available on PPC due to lack of Modula-3 support, but you will find that
csup, which is included in the base system, is a drop in replacement.

If you could provide a dmesg, and a description of the crash you
mentioned earlier, that would be appreciated as well. Good luck!
-Nathan