Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:19:57 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
Subject:   Re: Ports not building!

> From: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
> Date: 21 Dec 2001 23:06:28 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi all
>
> I'm getting mad. The ports system is not working... I've updated today
> all my system to see if it was because a broken build, but wrong. I'm
> now with 4.5-PRERELEASE and with a clean checkout of the ports tree.
>
> And, when I try to build _any_ port, I got the following errors (the
> example from emacs20):
>
> -----
> klamath# make build (all the configuration is already done)
> ===>  Building for emacs-20.7_1
> /bin/rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/ports/editors/emacs20/work/emacs-20.7/info/*
> /usr/ports/editors/emacs20/Makefile:26: *** missing separator.  Stop.
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/editors/emacs20.
> *** Error code 1
> -----
>
> I've checked the make binary, that is in place (/usr/bin), and it
> works, cos I've been able to do a make world. And the gnu make binary is
> in /usr/local/bin, with gmake name. Very strange. I can't imagine where
> the problem is coming from.
>
> First, I though the problem came from a broken build of the -stable branch
> because after it, no more ports compiled. But now, that I've redone the
> built, it still happens.
>
> Maybe I have a corrupted configuration file? Which one would be?
>
> Do you have any idea?
>
> ANY help will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Julio,

You didn't, by any chance, do something that made gmake run for make,
did your? "which make" should show "/usr/bin/make" and /usr/bin/make
should be about 200 KB long. If it's only about 135 KB, you have
replaced make with gmake.

It's also possible that gmake is really aliased to make. This won't
work, either since emacs20 uses "gnu make" while the ports part of the
make uses "make".

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)